The ¼-Ton, 4x4, Truck, more commonly known as the Jeep, was designed in 1940, and entered production in 1941. Prior to the Jeep's introduction, a wide selection of commercial cars, vans and pick-up trucks were used by the US Army as utility vehicles. The US Quartermaster Corps asked for designs for a light truck, capable of carrying four persons or supplies. Bantam, Ford, and Willys each built prototypes. Eventually, Ford's of Bantam's design was chosen, to be built by Willys and Ford.
The Jeep's simple design proved reliable and durable, with good cross-country performance. A canvas top was available for driving in poor weather. Its versatility allowed it to serve as a reconnaissance vehicle and light gun tractor, in addition to its role as a transport vehicle. Used in tandem, it could even tow heavy artillery, such as 155 mm howitzers. A .30 or .50 cal. machine gun could be mounted, and a ¼-ton trailer was available.
More than 650 000 Jeeps were built during World War 2. An amphibian version, the ¼-Ton Amphibian Truck, was designed in 1942, with a total of 12 778 built.
|¼-Ton, 4x4, Truck "Jeep"|
|Speed (max)||105 km/h|