The Daimler Scout Car (also known as the Daimler Dingo) was designed in 1938 according to requirements from the British War Office for a fast reconnaissance car. Despite its light weight, the Daimler Scout Car was reasonably well-armoured compared to contemporary armoured cars, such as the Humber Light Reconnaissance Car and the German Sd Kfz 221. This was in part due to its very small size, with its silhouette being only half the size of most other British armoured cars.
With the Mk II, the previous four-wheel steering was replaced with two-wheel steering. This increased the Daimler Scout Car's turning circle, but made it easier to handle for new drivers. With the Mk III, the armoured roof was removed, which made entering and exiting the vehicle faster.
A total of 6626 Daimler Scout Cars were built. It was used as the basis for the Canadian-built Lynx Scout Car. An Italian copy, built by Lancia, was built from 1943 to 1944, and was used both by the Germans and the Italians during World War 2.
After the war, the Daimler Scout Car remained in service with the British army until 1952, and with the Portugese, Cypriotic and Sri Lankan armies until the seventies.
|Daimler Scout Car (Daimler Dingo)|
|Speed (max)||88.5 km/h|
|Primary weapon||.303 cal. Bren Machine Gun (1)|