The Pz Kpfw II was the workhorse of the German tank corps during the early years of World War II. Being equipped only with a 20 mm automatic cannon, Germany relied on quantity during their early campaigns. With more than 1000 Pz Kpfw IIs employed in both the Poland, France and North Africa, the Pz Kpfw II was fundamental in the early victories.
As the war went on, the Pz Kpfw II became obsolete as a combat tank. In stead, it was used as a command tank, and its chassis was used for other purposes, such as the Marder II tank destroyer and Wespe self-propelled howitzer. Late in the war, a reconnaissance version, Ausf. L, was also made.
|Ausf. C||Ausf. F|
|Weight||8.9 t||9.5 t|
|Width||2.22 m||2.28 m|
|Height||1.99 m||2.15 m|
|Armour (range)||5-15 mm||5-35 mm|
|Speed (max)||39.5 km/h|
|Engine||Maybach HL 62 TR|
|Primary weapon||2 cm Kw K 30 (1)|
|Secondary weapon||7,92 mm MG 34 (1)|